Homemade Strawberry Jam with Chia Seeds and Mint is so tasty, smells wonderful and I love to make it every strawberry season.
Ah, I love strawberry season! The best time of the year! Strawberry season makes me happy. The weather is wonderful, the sun is shining, the sky is clear blue… You know those long warm days perfect for picnic time. For me, strawberries are the fruit most associated with lazy summer days. I think the strawberries are the happiest fruit in the world. They smell like summer, they taste like summer, they are summer!
I love to eat them fresh with whipped cream, I love to eat strawberry ice cream, I love them with champagne and also I love to make strawberry jam – Homemade Strawberry Jam with Chia Seeds and Mint.
Yes, strawberry season makes me happy for all those reasons and I would like to share this pretty awesome and happy Homemade Strawberry Jam with Chia Seeds and Mint Recipe with you.
Homemade Strawberry Jam with Chia Seeds and Mint
This jam is easy, delicious, and loved by all, and it’ll make you feel so good. Especially if you grow the strawberries yourself, which I did not in this case.
This jam comes together very quickly with the addition of chia seeds. ( If you haven’t tried chia seeds as yet, you really should, they are so healthy! ) I’m also adding a bunch of mints, lemon juice and a pinch of salt to make the resulting jam more spicy and tastier. I like sweet jam to be a little sweet and sour and not just sweet and sweet :). A little butter is added at the end to make the jam cleanse from the foam and become clearer. You can omit any of these last additional ingredients and, according to the procedure, prepare the basic jam.
To begin, you need:
- 1 kg / 2 lbs strawberries,
- 250 g / 8 oz sugar,
- 30 g/ 3 tbsp lemon juice,
- 1/2 tbsp sea salt,
- 30 g / 2 tbsp chia seeds,
- (20 g / 1 tbsp butter),
- 3 tbsp mint,
- sterilized jars
- Wash strawberries and remove the stems.
- Chop strawberries and stir in the sugar. Add lemon juice, salt and mint. Let sit for two or more hours. I do overnight.
- Add strawberry mixture to a large pot and bring the jam to boil. Allow simmering for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, put a small saucer in the freezer, it will serve as a test aid for later.
- After 15 -20 minutes, add chia seeds and butter, stir and let it bubble 5 more minutes. Chia seeds swell. Butter is added to clean jam so it does not have foam and is clear, but you can omit it.
- To test if a jam has the correct consistency, you can put some jam on the chilled saucer. Jam should run very slowly and be the way you like it. If it’s too sparse, let it gently bubble and reduce it. If it is just right, you can fill it in sterilized jars and close it immediately.